GidiNoize interviews Jide Alakija
– I was brought up in Warri. I studied Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London. My parents were both in the Petroleum business. My dad was a medical doctor to industrial patients while my mother was a chemical engineer on a refinery.
2.GROWING UP,WHO WERE YOUR INFLUENCES?
– Michael Jackson, My cousin Femi, my friends Deji and mates from Shutterchance.
3.WHO OR WHAT INFLUENCED YOU TO BE A PHOTOGRAPHER?
– I think I’ve naturally responded positively to captivating images. I’ve also been impacted by beauty of different parts of the world. I’ve felt the need to somehow capture some parts of my experience for memory. Having spent a lot of time with an artist and a photographer around me such as my good friend Mista Skee and Duane Bong who were passionately into their photography it was only a matter of time before I would be influenced.
– recently (2004 Nov) I bought a Sony C1 point and shoot camera. This was gonna be the next gadget in the series I had collected over the year towards my hobby.
– yes I am self taught. That’s how I learn best. Mainly through trial and error.
6.WAS IT HARD CONVINCING YOUR PARENTS THAT PHOTOGRAPHY WAS WHAT YOU WANTED TO DO?
– no it wasn’t hard at all. They were very supportive. I’m quite thankful to them.
– I’m not into any particular type of photography as such. I just like to create images.
8.WHAT TYPE OF CAMERA DO YOU USE AND WHY?
– I’m a Canon man. Mainly because my friends, Mista Skee and Duane had them too.
9.WHATS THE INSPIRATION BEHIND THE PICTURES YOU TAKE?
– I’m not usually looking for any particular thing however I’ve been told that like images that have a story behind them.
10.HOW MANY PICTURES WOULD YOU SAY YOU TAKE TO FIND ”THE RIGHT ONE”?
– this is a very subjective question, a lot of the time luck determines this. The number is dependent on many factors occuring during the situation. If my subject is still then one shot if they move one shot too. Its about catching what is known as the “the decisive moment”
11.HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON LOCATIONS AND OBJECTS?
– this is usually decided by my client for commercial work. For personal work, I tend to look for places that have interesting subjects.
12.DO YOU HAVE A PHOTOGRAPH YOU LIKE BEST OUT OF YOUR COLLECTION?
– no, not really.
13.IS THERE A PARTICULAR PLACE YOU’LL LIKE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF IN FUTURE?IF SO,WHERE?
– Buckingham Palace.
14.DO YOU HAVE A GALLERY WHERE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS ARE DISPLAYED OR ANY PLANS ON GETTING ONE?
– no I don’t. No I don’t plan on getting one either.
15.ARE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR SALE IF SO WHERE CAN THEY BE PURCHASED?
– yes they are ALL for sale. You’ll have to contact me directly for pricing. my email address is email@example.com
– it would either be when I was asked to photograph Wole Soyinka or my time with Ngozi Chimanada Adichie
17.OUTSIDE THE PHOTOGRAPHY SCENE, WHO IS JIDE ALAKIJA?
– I’d like to think of myself as a normal, thinking dude who loves his ewa more than many things.
– Yes, meeting people.
19.WHAT IS YOUR VISION FOR JIDE ALAKIJA PHOTOGRAPHY?
– I want to continue to explore the channels of image creation and continue to share that with my followers.
– be patient and understand your tool. Don’t be a copy cat.
– thank you for your support. Its because of you that I do this mostly.
Click here to view more photos by Jide Alakija